STUART FAMILY WEDDINGS
FROM THE WALNUT BUREAU AND FILES OF WGS MEMBER LEO STUART
VonLackum – Stuart
Doctor and Mrs. H. J. VonLackum, of Dysart, Iowa, announce the marriage of their daughter, Winona, to Mr. C. C. Stuart, of Walnut, Iowa. The ceremony was performed at St. Vincents rectory, Los Angeles, Calif, by Rev. Father M. S. O’Malley of that parish.
Those included as wedding guests were the bride’s parents, Dr. and Mrs. VonLackum; her sister, Mrs. Helen Cockshoot and Mr. Cockshoot; Miss M. Kullmer; Miss Helen Stuart, cousin of the groom; Miss E. Lindsay and Mr. and Mrs. Eckhart.
Mrs. Stuart is a former teacher of Walnut schools, where her record because of her educational and social attainments was splendid. She is a graduate of S. U. I. and a member of the Delta, Delta, Delta sorority.
Cecil Stuart is one of our successful younger farmers.
The bride was handsomely attired in a gown of egg-shell chiffon and wore a veil of Belgian lace.
After the ceremony a delightful wedding breakfast was served the guests at the Beltmore Hotel.
The honeymoon includes trips to Catalina and points of interest in California and the Southwest. Afterwards Mr. Stuart will bring his bride to Walnut, where they will be at home after March 15th in the John Nichols property on north Central street.
February 15, 1930
Stuart – Streib
Married June 12, 1900, at St. Patrick’s church, in this place, Miss Gertrude Regina Stuart, second daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Stuart, and Mr. John W. Streib, of Clinton, Iowa.
As the bells chimed the hour of twelve the bridal party entered the church to the sweet strains of Mendelsohn’s wedding march, played by Mrs. A. Kastner, a cousin of the bride. The ushers, Mr. Robert Stuart and Mr. Andrew Kastner preceeded them to the alter where they were met by Rev. Father Morrin, who pronounced the solemn words which united them for life.
The bride was gowned in white liberty silk over taffeta, wearing a veil held in place by bride’s roses and carried a bouquet of the same.
The bridesmaid, Miss Helen Stuart, was dressed in pink embroidered chiffon, with dress hat, and carried pink roses. The groom wore the conventional black and was attended by Mr. T. Dolly, of Clinton.
The Tourist Club, of which the bride was a member, decorated the church with palms, potted plants, pink roses and their club colors, red, white and blue, and appeared in a body dressed in white and wearing the colors.
After the ceremony the bridal party returned to the home of the bride’s parents, where a sumptuous five course dinner awaited them. The spacious dining room was decorated in exquisite taste with a profusion of smilax, pink and white roses, carnations and ribbons, as was the entire house.
The bride is one of Walnut’s best girls, and has lived here from infancy. She is admired and loved by all for her sweet and amiable disposition and counts her friends by the legion, all of whom regret her departure from Walnut, but what is our loss will be Clinton’s gain.
Mr. Streib is one of the substantial young men of Clinton, where he is bookkeeper in the Merchants National Bank. Although almost a stranger to us when he came, he now leaves many friends who honor and esteem him.
Mr. and Mrs. Streib left on the evening train for their home in Clinton, which Mr. Streib has prepared for his bride, amid a shower of rice and good wishes of a host of friends and relatives.
Among the guests from out of town were: Rev. Father Gleason, Valley Junction; Miss Josephine Streib, of Clinton, a sister of the groom; T. Dolly, Clinton; Mrs. A. Stuart, Atlantic and Mr. Halligan, of Bayard.
Broughton – Stuart
One of the most popular weddings that has occurred in Walnut for several years was solemnized at St. Patrick’s church at 11 o’clock Tuesday morning, when Rev. Father Morrin, assisted by Rev. Father Mulvihill, of Adair, united in marriage Miss Anna Isabel Broughton to Robert Joseph Stuart. The ceremony which united these two popular young people was the full ritalistic service of the Catholic church in which all the details were charmingly carried out.
Mendelssohn’s wedding march was played by Mrs. Fred Robinson as the bridal couple, accompanied by Mr. Alex Stuart and Miss Georgia Broughton, walked up the isle to the altar, where the bride was given away in a few impressive words by her father, and Fathers Morrin and Mulvihill performed the ceremony which made them man and wife.
The ceremony was followed by a reception at the home of the bride’s parents where relatives and friends met and congratulated Mr. and Mrs. Stuart before they took their departure for their new home near Lees Summit, Missouri.
The bride is the second daughter of Mr. and Mrs. T. H. Broughton and a very popular young lady with the Walnut young people. The groom is the oldest son of Mr. and Mrs. John Stuart, one of the most prosperous and extensive farmers in this vicinity, and who is likewise popular among the young people.
They were escorted to the depot to the evening train by a large number of lady and gentleman friends where they were given what was termed a tin shower and fairly covered with tin ware of all decriptions, which was followed as they boarded the train with another shower, this time of rice and old shoes and amid shouts of congratulations and good byes began their journey to their future home, where Mr. Stuart has purchased a large farm.
February 24, 1903
Bushman – Stuart
The wedding of Miss Lillian Theresa Bushman, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William M. Bushman, to Alexander Leonard Stuart was solemnized Wednesday morning at 9 o’clock at St. Peter’s church by Father McLaughlin. The church was decorated with a profusion of pink roses and bridal wreath combined with quantities of asparagus ferns. Miss Nettie Bushman, sister of the bride, was maid of honor and wore pink embrodered mull over silk and carried pink sweet peas. As it was a double service there were two ring bearers. Miss Agnes Bushman, sister of the bride and Master Cecil Stuart. Both were dressed in white, one carrying a lily and the other an American Beauty rose. The bride wore a handsome gown of white silk mull trimmed with real German valencienes lace, made princess with panels of the lace reaching from her shoulders to the hem of her gown. A long graceful tulle veil was caught in place with a wreath of lilies of the valley and she carried a shower bouquet of the same flower. Mr. Frank Stuart, brother of the groom, was best man. Mr. Robert Bushman, Mr. Bert Murphy, Mr. Ed Naughton and Mr. Byron Reed served as ushers. Following the ceremony a wedding breakfast was served at the home of the bride’s parents, when only the immediate families and relatives were invited, numbering about thirty. Last night from 5 until 8 o’clock a large reception was held at the home of the bride, 709 Georgia Avenue. The house was elaborately decorated in pink and white. Pink roses and bridal wreath are the flowers used, while palms and ferns are given conspicuous places. The dining room was especially attractive with a huge centerpiece on the table of pink roses and the candles and other lights shaded in pink. Punch was served in the library. Assisting in the dining room and throughout the rooms were Miss Mary O’Conner, Miss Naughton, Miss Agnes McElroy, Miss Powers, Miss Bessie Powers, Miss Katherine Scholl, Miss Stella Murphy, Miss Ella Fearon, Miss Julia Mullen, Miss Florence Sweeny and Mrs. Frank Gallagher of Council Bluffs. Mr. and Mrs. Stuart left last evening for a wedding trip to California and will be at home after July 15 at Walnut, Ia.
June 5, 1909